Yes. Real books are awesome. Yes. Paper smells amazing. Yes. Highlighting and scribbling and touching a paperback adds a whole other level to the reading experience.
But you know what? My iPad has been the best thing that ever happened to the bookworm in me.
Here is why I love reading on my iPad:
1. You can read without glasses. Zoom, I love you.
2. Being a bookworm is a really expensive hobby in this part of the world. I made up for the extravagant price of the iPad in the first 3 months by saving on books.
3. Two words: Backlit display.
4. It is more socially acceptable to read on the iPad in social settings because many people assume you’re working.
5. Instant information access. Highlight to look up words you don’t know, do a quick wiki search to familiarize yourself with a topic you’re not familiar with.
6. You don’t have to wait a month or two for the Amazon-Aramex combination to work in cases where you are really eager to read a book.
7. Search. Come on, you know you want that.
8. It’s really easy to prop up the gadget on your pillow.
9. You don’t have to carry 3 different books at all times. You have ALL your books, ALL THE TIME.
10. Taking notes and saving snippets is just a matter of copy and paste.
My fellow bookworms, stop being so frickin’ romantic and treat yourself to a damn iPad.