Is there anything more beautiful than Arabic calligraphy?

Arabic calligraphy is perhaps one of the most beautiful five things in the world. It’s amazing how something so ancient can easily look so gorgeous modern.

I thought you might enjoy opening your week with some shots of one of  my favorite calligraphic pieces, done by my talented colleague, Hussein Al-Azaat. They are actually used as decorative walls in the Landmark Hotel, Amman.

Enjoy :)

Like calligraphy? Here are a few other posts you might enjoy:
The Beauty of Arabic Calligraphy
Getting Aquainted with Letters

Arabic Calligraphy by Hussein Al-Azaat

Arabic Calligraphy by Hussein Al-Azaat

Arabic Calligraphy by Hussein Al-Azaat

Arabic Calligraphy by Hussein Al-Azaat

Arabic Calligraphy by Hussein Al-Azaat

1. ola

March 14, 2010 @ 2:54 pm

That’s gorgeous!

2. Super devoika

March 14, 2010 @ 2:55 pm

Brilliant…
    .-= The latest from Super devoika´s blog ..Mansushi! =-.

3. Rand

March 14, 2010 @ 7:16 pm

My God! just today I was google-imaging Arabic Calligraphy! I ended up using one of the pictures for my post. I’m freaked out :\
    .-= The latest from Rand´s blog ..Defending Islam? It’s Better Off Without It! =-.

4. Faisal

March 15, 2010 @ 4:25 pm

“one of the most beautiful five things in the world”.. What are the other four things?

5. The God Accomplice Of Evil

March 16, 2010 @ 3:24 am

Yeah! there is.. Arabic Calligraphy fails in comparison with Chinese Calligraphy.. and Chinese Calligraphy is WAY~ more ancient than what you people think..
    i do not speak ill of Arabic Calligraphy.. but while ancient Chinese is considered one of the most old active texts and is still continuing to be so since 12th century BC, arabic written text started gaining solidity in the 3rd Century AD after being mixed with Musnad’s text system and aramic languages.. pretty modern language to me i say..

6. hussein

March 16, 2010 @ 12:36 pm

Thanx to Roba and everyone..

to The God Accomplice Of Evil:

Why to compare with Chinese script? what is the point? and if you are really interested in history of written word; can you please compare how was the Arabic type look like in the 3rd century and how is it now..

Also the Chinese calligraphy.. what are the development stages?

How the culture affected the evolving of any script..

7. Onzlo

March 16, 2010 @ 9:35 pm

If we are comparing, I would say Arabic calligraphy is by far more beautiful than its Chinese equivalent.

March 16, 2010 @ 10:06 pm

I agree with Onzlo. While Chinese calligraphy does have its charm, Arabic calligraphy is so much more diverse and has so much more space for creative input.
    .-= The latest from Roba´s blog ..My Favorite Firefox 3.6 Config Tweaks =-.

9. cubano

March 19, 2010 @ 1:52 am

wow, absolutely beautiful. why would you compare two different forms of calligraphy? Seems pointless to me. They are different forms of art and it’s just a personal choice.
    .-= The latest from cubano´s blog ..Auschwitz =-.

10. Amina

March 19, 2010 @ 8:06 am

This is absolutely gorgeous!
    .-= The latest from Amina´s blog ..Quick update =-.

11. SYNTAX:CONTEXT » Blog Archive » What do SYNTAX designers do in their free time? Amazing calligraphy, of course!

March 22, 2010 @ 12:41 am

[...] More photos on Andfaraway. [...]

12. siddeeque

October 21, 2010 @ 12:42 pm

I’m a non-Arab. But I like Arabic Calligraphy. I like Arabic Language also.

13. كمبيوتر صخر Sakhr Computer Visits a Time Machine | And Far Away

March 13, 2012 @ 12:37 pm

[...] you to pretend that I have Morgan Freeman’s voice, but alas, I don’t -My old colleague Hussein Al-Azaat was walking in downtown Amman when he came across a peculiar-looking, vintage [...]

14. Artemis

May 17, 2013 @ 9:49 am

Im not Chinese to Arabic but I definitely think chinese calligraphy is more beautiful than Arabic caligraphy. This stuff is really nice but looks more like graphitti to me, Chinese caligraphy looks like art. Keep in mind that I can’t read either, so that probably affects my judgement…

15. Artemis

May 17, 2013 @ 9:50 am

Sorry I meant “I’m not Chinese or Arabic” stupid iPhone…

16. Livvie93

September 16, 2013 @ 3:22 am

chinese is forever linked to cheap tattoos in my memory