Top 10 Reasons Why I Hate Winter

It’s the time of the year when everyone’s favorite conversation is “Ahhh, finally! Winter!” and “DAMN. I’m not emotionally ready to wave good-bye to the summer.”

As for me, I’m a summer person. I hate winter because:

1. It’s pitch black by 5:00. I like my sun, thank you.

2. My winter allergies are back. According to my immunologist, I’m allergic to pine trees, and they bloom in winter. Waking up every day with a stuffy nose sucks.

3. I can’t wear my skirts no more.

4. Driving with fogged up windows is just awful.

5. You are now confined to living rooms, the insides of cafes and restaurants, and other stuffy spaces.

6. Waking up in winter is a 100 times harder than waking up in the summer. Getting out of the warm air pockets of the bed is HELL.

7. My glasses constantly get fogged up.

8. The flu.

9. I grew up in the desert. 20 degrees was my winter. The 5 degree-nights of Amman are like living in Antartica as far as I’m concerned.

10. Winter clothes suck. They “inhale” all kinds of bad smells and are not as machine-washing friendly as their happy cotton summer counter parts.

Are you a summer or a winter person? If you’re a winter person, you must enlighten me with your Top 10 Reasons Why You Love Winter.

1. farah

September 27, 2009 @ 3:53 pm

i just agree with everything u said! lol THANK YOU!

2. Sara

September 27, 2009 @ 4:12 pm

Roba;

I happen to love summer as well, you might even say I prefer it, but here’s a quick list why winter is okay:

Singing in the rain!

Wine begins to taste so much better

Lazy movie nights on the couch

Scarves and gloves

Waiting for snow, and then completely overreacting about the slightest drizzle

No allergies (I know yours come from the winter time, but mine disappear during that time, so that’s a major plus)

Heated seats!

Skiing

When the sun is out you appreciate it so much more

Comfy

I know it’s harder to get up in the morning, but to sleep tucked in a comfy duvet with a breeze is hard to beat. Ah, the comfort!

Hope this makes winter a little more bearable!

3. Nadeen

September 27, 2009 @ 4:24 pm

rain, uggs and hot chocolate …

4. Muhammad

September 27, 2009 @ 4:49 pm

“Ex-winter person”, how about that? Well, I used to love winter, and I still do, not as much though, but I do still HATE summer and I’m so grateful it’s almost gone.

Thing is, I grew up in Egypt, the worst day during winter would be like 15 degrees with no more than two hours of rain, and that’s it, to them, the whole thing about snow is like Sci-Fi.

I don’t have 10 reasons, but I love how everything looks during winter, particularly during and after the rain, everything is washed, clean but not shiny, streets, buildings, cars and trees. I enjoy watching the horizon, that’s fascinating to me. I strongly disagree with you on the clothes part, I’m not sure about the smell but I certainly prefer winter clothes.

Finally and the most importantly, I’m a scarfaholic! Scarves are the only thing I enjoy shopping for, and I do find people wearing scarves way more attractive.

5. Simon Columbus

September 27, 2009 @ 4:52 pm

I totally agree with you, Roba! But when I was in Novosibirsk a few weeks ago, where it’s getting really cold in winter, they told it was the best time to visit the city. In my eyes -20° C or colder determines anybody not to leave their beds, but somehow there are people who just love Siberian winters. Strange…

6. Ola

September 27, 2009 @ 5:00 pm

I still can’t decide whether I’m a summer or a winter, I figure I’m for the change in te weather itself, I love winter but at a certain point I miss the long sunny days. I love winer for:

1- the coziness

2- the rain

3- the lack of that sizzling weather that makes you want to go home and change your clothes (seriously I’d rather get cold than get hot)

4- coats

5- scarves

6- thick warm colorful socks that I desert in the summer and keep looking at wanting to wear them

7- reading a good book beside the window with a cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows and the rain tapping on the glass (too specific but still!)

8- Sometimes I miss driving in the rain, I know it could be scary but maybe hat’s why

9- ROMO (or whatever heater available)

10- roasted chestnuts

7. dima

September 27, 2009 @ 5:11 pm

I hate winter! I don’t know how can people function when there isn’t plenty of sunshine :(

not cozy or romantic, but very heavy! two thumbs down! seriously

8. Rula

September 27, 2009 @ 5:13 pm

Think of it like this – Winter Rocks because of:

1. A steaming mug of Hot Chocolate w/ marshmallows & Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
    2. Lounging around in a pair of Thick Red Flannel Pajamas w/ matching Fluffy Robe & Floppy Slippers
    3. Reading for hours in the glow of a roaring Fireplace
    4. Walking flirtatiously in a pair of Knee Length boots with 60 denier tights, tartan wool skirt & a soft cashmere polo-neck
    5. Leather Jackets guaranteed to set your heart racing
    6. Rosy cheeks massaged by the frosty air
    7. Hot bowls of Homemade Soups & freshly baked bread
    8. Hats, Scarves & Gloves colour coordinated to liven up the gloomiest winter day
    9. The bliss of waking up to find the ground covered in snow…nothing moving…eternal white, peace & quiet
    10. And last but certainly not least all the extra layers covering up the new love handles generated by over-indulging in comfort foods all winter long!

Have I persuaded u?!

9. Mesh

September 27, 2009 @ 5:22 pm

i love winter ( specially my childhood in nablus :)

1.first time i recall i saw a true rain (fine showers) non-forgettable experience

2. first time i saw hail (nablus) where they call it: snan el 3ajoozeh

3. first time i experienced snow ( amman 1991)

4. Kasatana

5. 3aj2et Nefred Sejjad (Nablus)

6. Ba3ed Ma nefred Sejjad, Nel3ab bananeer ana wo a5oy wo aboy xD

7. Nel3ab bel Lego 3al Ard

8. Sa7lab 7aleeeeeeeeeeeeb !

9.Shorabet el 3adas… ma3 5obez taboon wo basal a5dar !

10. a7la shi eykon el wa7ad makmoor bel farsheh wo el 7raam !

11. Bnejma3 el dohor + el 3aser wo el maghreb + el 3esha :D

12. the smell of red soil

13. green grass on fields n mountains

14. i love NY like environment (never been there, wish to..), you may rofl about this, but i love amman considering winter there as in NY :P

15. Jebneh Nabulseyyeh M2ammara 3al kanoon

16. i loved my first ramadans during my childhood it occurred on winter

the list contines ..

one of the things i hate in summer is :

Bashteghel shofeer taxi wo met3ahhed seya7a wo tawreed montajat 3’etha2eyye lel 2ahel bel 5arej !

17. sound of rain drops on street.

18. shiny roads ( road patches appear clearly )

19. wandering during rain / snow

20. loon el jamr bel kanoon (specially when lights are off)

10. Nisreen

September 27, 2009 @ 5:26 pm

its the total opposite in the UAE haha.. particularly points 4 and 5

11. Fares

September 27, 2009 @ 5:37 pm

I love winter, for oen reason people don’t smell as bad in crowded placed

12. Jeff

September 27, 2009 @ 7:12 pm

Roba, you would absolute hate Canada, (especially Saskatchewan) in the winter. Here, in December/January, it’s dark by 4:30, and not light again until after 9:00. We have fierce winter storms, with snow, on occasion, piled a meter high in some places. The roads get blocked, and people cannot drive their cars.

The temperature often dips as low as Minus 35 Celsius (One time I saw it go to -43 C) and there are sometimes weeks on end when the temperature never climbs above -25 (day or night). To keep a car running in these temperatures, we have block heaters attached to the engine. If you don’t plug your car in overnight, it will not start.

There’s a lot of good things about living here, but unless I am skiing in the Rocky mountains (try to go once a year!) winter is not one of them.

13. za3tar

September 27, 2009 @ 8:09 pm

I am definitely a summer person. The only thing i like about winter is the absence of bugs and insects! I hate *hate* bugs and insects.

14. Tweets that mention And Far Away » Top 10 Reasons Why I Hate Winter -- Topsy.com

September 27, 2009 @ 10:13 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Layla Caledoniyya. Layla Caledoniyya said: Pro-winter: http://bit.ly/3WffLJ and anti-winter: http://bit.ly/jFBlK Personally, I detest the cold, but the former makes it so appealing. […]

15. Ayyoub

September 27, 2009 @ 10:29 pm

I am a winter person and I live in Dubai, but with surfing, I think I can handle summer whatever the temp is!

My main reason for liking winter is I become more active during the cold season :D

September 27, 2009 @ 10:43 pm

Nadeen, you just reminded me of Yasmeen’s super ugly uggs! :D Ya3. Uggs. Another reason to hate winter.

Muhammad,You really think stuff look clean in winter? I think they look so dirty in Amman. The white stone just doesn’t do well with rain… I gotta agree that scarves are awesome. I wear them in the summer though cause ACs hurt my neck :)

Simon, haha, I guess I’m super lucky I don’t live in Siberia. People who live in very cold climates have told me though that it’s actually easier than living in Amman in the winter, cause the city isn’t exactly built to cater to cold. Ex. insulation is lackiing. You should visit Jordan btw!

Ola, my mom will love you for the last point. I think chestnuts is herfavorite thing in the world. Grilled 3al man2al. I don’t really like them though.. I prefer pecan :)

Dima, tell me about it. This whole winter branding was done by some genius at Hollywood and Disney!

Rula, your reasons aren’t that good but your beautifully descriptive writing make it sound so much better that it’s actually rather appealing :P That’s cheating :P

Mesh, I have no idea what kanoon is :( The first time I ever tried sa7lab was in winter in JU, and I was a little overtaken by how heavy it is. Again, not convincing :P

Nisreen, haha, that’s funny. Did you read my previous post?

Fares, 7aram 3aleik, people are more like to not shower + overdress + closed windows. Don’t you remember mo7adarat at JU during winter? The stench was bad enough to kill!

Jeff, Moose keeps telling me that about Canada when I tell him we should visit. He says I’m crazy cause I can’t handle the cold of the Mediterranean, I’m even crazier cause Canada is ever mentioned . Btw, my friends who live in Canada told me though that it’s actually easier than living in Amman in the winter, cause the city isn’t exactly built to cater to cold. Ex. insulation is lacking.

Za3tar, AND WE HAVE A WINNER! You have the most convincing pro-winter reason although you’re not a winter person. BUGS SUCK. Even worse than winter. Mosquitoes. AHHHHHHHHHH.

17. Mesh

September 27, 2009 @ 11:13 pm

kanoon = small man2al fa7em has tall thin legs

18. Stephen

September 28, 2009 @ 3:19 am

Winter is a real buzz kill. I especially hate icy roads in the winter

19. Chris

September 28, 2009 @ 8:14 am

Summer all the way–being hot might be uncomfortable sometimes,but being cold anytime is downright painful to me.

20. Mesh

September 28, 2009 @ 9:14 am

you can warm your self with a thick fluffy blanket,

but in the mid of summer when temps are high and even the air stands still, you feel the world has stopped, no sounds of trees etc..

21. ghaliah

September 28, 2009 @ 1:21 pm

summer, summer 7atta el mawt :P

22. 5o5a

September 28, 2009 @ 8:10 pm

I agree with u Roba 100%…i’m a summer person too, yeee ma a7la al a3deh 3al ba7r (as i live in kuwait), umm ok el 7ararah 50+ bs ar7am min bard el desert ely bifoooot bil 3adem.. :s

when winter comes eno 7elwo it’s raining o el kol a3ed bil beit mkanken o metla7ef :p …bs don 4get shu bye3mel hal rain!! betbalesh el shaware3 tza7le2 o el 7awadeth hon o hnak :s

From my side 3omry ma shoft el snow :( bs basma3 eno in jordan its beautiful…but i don think its beautiful lama tetlej kteeeeeeeeeer la darajet eno el wa7ad byen5ezen bil beit o ma ye2dar yetla3, o yen2ete3 3an el 3alam outside!!

ma3ek 7a2 Roba winter clothes suck!! :p i hate el clothes ely betshawek that covers the neck :'(

Anyway..winter n summer are both nice, bs i prefer summer. Allah ye3ood-hom 3aleina kol saneh ya rab…o bima eno winter 3al abwab fa kol 3am o entu b5eir :D

23. Mesh

September 29, 2009 @ 12:41 am

Green Day – “Wake Me Up When September Ends”

Summer has come and passed

becoming who we are

as my memory rests
    but never forgets what I lost
    wake me up when September ends

24. Mesh

September 29, 2009 @ 12:41 am

Green Day – “Wake Me Up When September Ends”

Summer has come and passed
    The innocent can never last
    wake me up when September ends

like my father’s come to pass
    seven years has gone so fast
    wake me up when September ends

here comes the rain again
    falling from the stars
    drenched in my pain again
    becoming who we are

as my memory rests
    but never forgets what I lost
    wake me up when September ends

Damn, those 7 years really gone so fast..

25. heba

September 29, 2009 @ 9:48 am

I become so gloomy and negative during winter!
    the sun gives me my daily charge of happiness, and that is simply not what happens in winter :(
    I’m trying not to think about how close winter is it makes me sad, I feel I become heavier and I turn into a lazy person…
    Nothing is cozy about winter, it’s a confinement to me, and my kids get sick all winter. Not having hot or warm water all the time is also a major turn off, during summer you can enjoy showers any time of the day or even after midnight!
    AND SWIMMING :(

I hate hate hate winter!

and driving with fogy car glass is so annoying and distracting….
    Oh my God I can go on forever…………….
    I’m about to cry, might as well go hibernate now….

26. mo

September 29, 2009 @ 10:21 am

about point number 9 .. dude desert winters are COLD .. there’s not much rain or otherwise but it is cold .. it can fall below zero sometims

27. Ola

September 29, 2009 @ 10:06 pm

And oh one more exclusive reason: Ras El 3abed

28. Yasmin Hamied

October 3, 2009 @ 3:05 am

I am a spring person :-)

I love the feeling of getting rid of winter’s cold and dullness, and longing for the long-missed summer even more than I love summer (I do love summer, though my blood circulation sometimes doesn’t :-P). I love how everything starts to grow, tiny, light-colored and fragile

my reasons to hate winter:
    1) the cold weather. I hate cold fingers, having a runny nose (which I have as soon as chilly wind blows, regardless of how healthy I am, and especially freezing toes.
    2) the gloomines. Less sunshine, shorter days, starting the day in the dark, having no sun to coax me into getting out of bed.

but I do have some reasons to love winter:
    1) Hot chocolate after a long cold day
    2) Playing cards with family in the evening
    3) Night walks! they are actually more fun in the winter if the sky is clear, everything on the street gets a surreal touch…
    4) Ice cream tastes better in the winter, and you can tell yourself that the icy fingers and nose are from the ice cream, not from the weather hehe

… so I guess I am undecided regarding winter, I hate or love it depending on my mood…

29. Top 10 Reasons I Love Winter | Chocolate Mints In a Jar

October 5, 2009 @ 10:50 pm

[…] reading Roba’s post on why she hates winter, I just had to do this.  I love winter.  Here is […]

30. Sarah

October 7, 2009 @ 12:34 am

i can easily give you 5o reasons why i LOVE winter, but i’ll cut them down promise!
    1. summer is dirty, winter comes, and washes everything clean
    2. the smell of rain on grass
    3. for some reason, coffee, chocolate, and jasmine tea all taste much better in the winter
    4. going to the movies is much more fun
    5. gloves,
    6. getting socked from head to toe from pouring rain
    7. sweatshirts :)
    8. the sound of wind and rain againts my window
    9. driving in the rain
    10. thunder and lightning (amuse me everytime!)
    11. the smell of the air is clean and cold and pure
    12. people smell less bad!!!
    13. soup
    15. my grandmother’s wool scarfes, makes them every winter, and we all get one, some lucky friends get their share too
    15. fajer prayer
    i miss winter :)

31. Lou

November 26, 2009 @ 3:00 am

I can add two more things to the list. Cleaning ice and snow off of the car on a cold winter morning, and if I had plans to go someplace and they are ruined because of snow , I become cranky and miserable. I guess that is cabin fever.

32. Mark

November 30, 2009 @ 6:58 pm

In 1990, I moved from Miami to Baltimore because my dad died and I felt I needed to start life anew. Little did I know that lurking in my genetic make up was Seasonal Affective Disorder and hypothyroidism. Depression I already was an old hand at. Within a year, I was diagnosed with manic-depression & was hospitalized. I also met a woman who became my wife. But slowly, it got harder to deal with winter, that now, I feel like I’m serving a prison sentence, since my wife is so insecure about moving to someplace new(like Florida). And my dad told me how he hated winter, that’s why when he was a young man, before World War II, he spent his winters away from New Jersey, working on ocean liners that went to the Caribbean, Central & South America. Winter: It sucks.

33. Chelsea

December 3, 2009 @ 6:56 am

I love summmer !:)
    1. At 10pm there is still sunshine !
    2.No school
    3. Summer Job & Vacation

I can’t believe I have to waitt so long for summer to arrive !

34. Commentator

February 8, 2010 @ 10:18 pm

OK.

1. It is dark at 07:00 and at 16:00, and thus you can see people wandering on streets and chatting even though it’s practically night, as if it was some kind of a holiday. :) Also, the streets are all illuminated.

2. If there is a lot of snow (at least several decimetres), then mounds of snow can make an impression that an entire, otherwise flat, terrain has changed, become rugged and interesting. It is a lot of fun to see straits between snow.

3. Snow hides all which is unattractive on Earth, like unkempt grass, rubbish people throw away, pavements in a bad state, etc. Also, snowflakes and snow in general are just really pretty.

4. There is no bugs on streets, no mosquitoes fly into your room, and no drunk people walk on streets and yell. Also, people are less intimate and show less affection towards each other on streets. In other words, they are controlling themselves more.

5. It is cold, and coldness allows you to practice strong will when getting out of bed and walking outside, if you do it against your instincts, desires or wishes. Also, you can walk outside without a scarf and harden yourself, if you’re actually enduring the cold.

6. There are all sorts of stories about how the public transport or the infrastructure has failed because the sudden appearing of snow or low temperatures has surprised the responsible people. This is fun to read.

7. You usually sit in home, which causes you to become nostalgic (that melancholic mood is further strengthened by the fact that it’s dark, so when you sit by a window, you feel like you’re dreaming awake). Also, there is Christmas and New Year to contemplate.

8. I imagine death by low temperature as simple loss of control over your body followed by falling asleep, which is more pleasant than dying in a fever or dehydration caused by heat, not speaking about all the cancerogenous sunburns.

9. In winter, people are generally more cooperative, because – in the past – they had to struggle to survive in a cold, unfavourable environment. When it’s warm or hot, people instinctively begin to believe they’re invincible – because all vegetables and fruit trees are growing and food is abundant – and they start committing crimes, misdemeanours etc.

10. White is just a very pretty colour. :) Besides, I’m a zodiacal Capricorn, so everything related to mountains, snow and winter (I was born in the very middle of the sign, which is the beginning of January).

35. Anonymous

July 11, 2010 @ 8:07 pm

I’m a definite winter person. As far as the fogging up car windows, try cracking open the driver side window a little. What’s happening is that the blower is trying to pressurize the car’s cabin as it’s a little TOO air-tight. Cracking open the window de-pressurizes the cabin that little bit.

The Illinois smoking ban did create an unanticipated benefit. By forcing smokers outside, you now have the excuse to go outside in winter to cool off after being in the building with the overdone heat.

36. Pigeon Lofts

September 7, 2010 @ 1:58 pm

“With winter, there is a pet peeve of mine: the fact that a lot of buildings have the heat set too damn hot. Where I work it’s really bad. They keep it at 27C (80F plus) Since I have to walk a couple blocks to my car, the 20 minute drive is like going to Miami in an X-15 rocket plane. You have to dress for winter upon departure, but be dressed for summer on arrival!”

Agreed! It’s hard enough to wake up in the mornings in the winter but when you finally manage it and drag yourself to work, beary eyed, you enter a building that is hotter than the surface of the sun. Then you constantly fall asleep at your desk and get a serious cold from the insane heat in the building spreading germs at an alarming rate.

I’d much rather just have all the windows open and wear a damn coat!

Great post, haha!
    .-= The latest from Pigeon Lofts´s blog ..Keep Pigeons In Pigeon Lofts- Not Nets =-.

37. Mario

October 20, 2010 @ 11:05 pm

Not only do I agree, but I actually think you have it good…
    I’m from Canada … and the winters here are HELL.
    My parents work for the embassy, and growing up, I had to move with them for 7 years to a city called “Dubai”… I absolutely LOVED the heat and sunshine.. I could not BELIEVE that you could go to the beach in February… I ALWAYS laughed out loud when the people there talked about ‘winter coming’ (to them, winter is like 25 degrees celsius)… I have long since moved back home to Canada, and it is currently the end of October, and although we are experiencing a much milder than normal fall season, the fact that it is October is a depressing and grim reminder of the impending doom that is just looming ahead of us. The summers here are GORGEOUS… they are hot and although a bit humid, I’ll take 40 degrees (plus) with high humidity over minus 10 and snow ANY DAY!
    I’m French-Canadian , and the motto for Quebec here at some point was “Joie de vivre – (Joy of living)” .. well, winter here totally kills my joie de vivre..
    I am a Sagittarius, and apparently we are, by nature, heat and sun-loving. This is VERY true. I am very skinny; there’ no fat on my bones to keep me warm, and I always walk around looking like I have to go to the bathroom or something (hunched over and quickly with small quick steps) – because when I’m not in pain because of the insane cold, it is snowing and very windy and I’m being pummeled in the face with blowing snow , or even worse, stingingly cold air that actually PHYSICALLY hurts and feels like an ACTUAL slap in face. I almost don’t want to bother blowdrying my hair in the morning if it’s snowing or windy out, because the snow will get in your hair and melt and ruin all your hard work (if it’s not snowing, then the blowing snow will do it). At least in the summer, when it rains, you just need an umbrella, since rain just falls from the sky down to the ground.. In the winter, we all put away our umbrellas because they are useless against snow… snow comes at you from ALL directions. Imagine, on top of that, having to stand around waiting for a bus in the dead of winter, and of COURSE, the buses are ALWAYS late, because of (what else?) snow-covered icy roads and poor visibility caused by horrible winter conditions and blizzards. Those are the worst..standing in minus 20 degrees waiting for a bus that feels like it will never show up; I remember times when I’ve actually literally CRIED while waiting because my hands or ears will start stinging and hurting so badly, EVEN through thick gloves and earmuffs. And then, of course, walking on snow and ice is a whole different story of suffering altogether onto itself.The lobbies of buildings are always a DISGUSTING mess..all grey and slushy and muddy and wet and slippery…not to mention REALLLY smelly and stinky. Having to drag your coat and gloves and scarf and bag and a million other things with you, and then take them off and make sure you don’t lose them when you’re indoors, and then when you’re outdoors and wearing them, it’s too difficult to walk properly not just because of the cold, but because you feel like an overstuffed marshmallow or penguin..not to mention you look like one too.Even worse is when, for some reason, when you’re outdoors walking, even though it’s FREEZING, you start to sweat under the layers and your coat, so you’re sweating under, but freezing on the outside, which just makes you feel like you’re WET and standing in the freezing cold.Your nose runs and your face turns red and your lips freeze so you can’t talk properly. On top of that, the trees are bare and look like dead skeletons. Sigh, the only good thing I can think of about the Winter Solstice (December 21) is that the days start to get longer and each day is a day closer to spring and summer, warmth and heat and sun and shorts and T-shirts and walking around freely and just…happiness.
    I am, of course, NOT undermining your suffering, but to me, in comparison to what we go through here durnig the winter, 5 degrees in the middle of February sounds amazing (considering that the usual is MINUS 10 or minus 20 ..or during a cold snap minus 35 or worse, with wind chill values very significantly lowering the temperature to inhumane values.
    Looking forward to spring (or summer rather) already! :-D Good luck!
    Winter go away!!!

38. Mario

October 20, 2010 @ 11:16 pm

WOW..That sure felt really good, venting like that about my winter-phobia :-D lol
    Cheers!

October 20, 2010 @ 11:50 pm

Lol, i’m so glad you did! I am currently hating our super long summer :) now I appreciate my blessings.

40. Laura

November 2, 2010 @ 9:50 am

I hate hate HATE winter so much! The lack of sunshine makes me feel so depressed. Over here in Australia, in some states winters are freezing but summers are boiling. Lucky Darwin though they get 35 degrees pretty much every day of the year.

41. mimi

November 3, 2010 @ 5:00 pm

i love winter i hate summer i dont love water i love to play in the rain

42. Mario

November 17, 2010 @ 9:29 am

LOL
    I just found this website in my Favourites and couldn’t remember what it was , then I clicked on it and re-read my post from a month ago .. WOW.. that sounded like a really awful day I must’ve been having… my position on winter still hasn’t changed .. but still, wow.. and the fact that I don’t remember typing all that is a little freaky.. was I so pissed off at the weather that I somehow managed to black out and lose my memory?! AAAAACKH!! SEE?? Yet ANOTHER hazard of winter : “Makes you lose your memory (not to mention, your mind lol)” haha :P
    Well, I hope everyone else is coping!
    Good luck everyone! Cheers!

43. brian dale

January 11, 2011 @ 6:11 am

I FRICKEN HATE WINTER!!!!!! stupid southeast cold Michigan! i hate snow and everything looks dead in the summer everything is colorful and warm and you can bike and swim and stuff winter im stuck indoors with NOTHING to do!! i hate cold too!! please summer come here to michigan i miss you more than you know!! and btw im moving to Houston Texas next year where the summers are HOT and the winters and in the 60’s humm thats a good winter… forget michigan ta ta!

44. Danilo

January 21, 2011 @ 6:27 pm

I really hate winter . It is the most depressive time of the year (except for Christmas and New Year’s Eve) . Sun rises at 7:30 am and it is pitch black by 5p.m.

During that time you are either in the school or working . At night everyone is in closed areas like restaurants, clubs and pubs. Sport is almost dead .
    When you want to buy something from the store you have to put you shoes, cap, scarf, gloves , winter jacket . Car is usually foggy and it is snowing or raining or both, so it is pain in the ass to drive. Everyone is coughing or has a flu .

I can’t wait for the new summer . Winter , please go .

45. fitness girl

January 31, 2011 @ 3:58 am

I love winter sometime..but i enjoy summer i can feel how beautiful the world is going out somewhere like outdoors unlike winter you stay all day at home.

46. EvaCupcake

February 1, 2011 @ 12:44 am

Well yeah same I used to wake up every morning with a stuffy nose
    sometimes i wake up and then in a lil while my nose is bloody :(
    well turns out my nose gets really dry in winter so i have to rinse it with salt water every day :|
    So top 10 reasons why I hate winter :D
    1.Dryness-From skin to my nose >__<
    7.Smell- Some kids smell horrible like moth balls and sweat ewww.
    8.Food- I am addicted to mangos but its not the season for mangos or some other fruits D;
    9.Walking- It is difficult walking in the snow. Even with boots its hard. Ill look really stupid wearing those snow shoes and I dont know where to buy them
    10.Getting sick- It sucks to have a cold. I take this medicine for my allergies and that kind of guards me from catching colds. I just have mild cold like a lil cough or runny nose

47. jdizzle

February 6, 2011 @ 11:33 pm

I also HATE winter… There is absolutely nothing worth it to me. New York, Chicago… who cares, winter is completely miserable. I grew up in FL, and have spent several years in it, I just can’t adjust to it, sorry. I think you get acclimated to wherever you were born and grew up. Adjusting might be more brutal for you. I am also tall and skinny, which doesn’t help. I am freezing at 30, much less -30 wind chills here in Chicago. As soon as I am done with school I am freaking outttta here. Florida or California are the only places I will live in in the U.S. and I guess others agree. including Texas and AZ that is almost 1/3 of the United states population now live in TX/AZ/CA/FL. I see why my parents left here back in the freaking 60s. MISERABLE. MISERABLE MISERABLE. The only people that tolerate it are the fat people from here.

48. Racing Pigeons

March 3, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

I only hate winter if it rains. I love the snow, skying and all that comes with it.

49. winter

March 7, 2011 @ 9:48 pm

Well, I think that I’m pretty awesome! Yeah me!

50. Ella

April 25, 2011 @ 6:21 pm

I don’t know that everyone is talking about with this “I love winter because of the rain” crap, but these are the reasons why I LOVE winter:
    1. Snowboarding/Skiing – Winter hobbies make all of the difference in the winter, and snowboarding is m favorite. There is nothing better than staying out at the bar until 1:00, heading home, falling asleep at 2:00, and getting up at 5:00 to shower and prepare so you can make it to the mountain for first tracks (If you wear your gear TO the mountain, then you don’t have to worry about your car warming up.
    2. Snow is BEAUTIFUL. So what if there’s a storm outside? Light a fire, throw on pajamas, and make some hot chocolate. In the morning, pile on your weather gear, and take a walk down the street/through the woods, it’s gorgeous!
    3. Snowmobiling – The most fun, redneck thing to do in the woods. It’s a blast.
    4. Christmas – How can you not love Christmas, and all of the excitement leading up to it?
    5. You don’t have to care for your lawn – The snow blankets it while it “sleeps” all winter, and doesn’t have to be mowed!
    6. SNOW DAYS – These were the BEST when I was a kid. Even now that I’m in college, I take classes I don’t like in the spring semester so I can count on snow days to give me a day off (And go do what I listed for #1).
    7. Vacations – I love going on vacation to somewhere warm while it’s snowy (I can’t take the heat unless it’s “winter” where they are, too).
    8. Hockey! – My favorite sport to watch. I die a little every time hockey season ends.
    9. Wearing winter clothing – I love winter clothes, especially my UGG boots. They’re the comfiest things ever. I also love my gigantic winter coats (I swear, I have one in every color).
    10. I get to live (therefore snowboard) longer! – Statistically, people who live in colder climates live longer, due to slower cell degradation.

51. j

August 3, 2011 @ 8:30 am

i hate winter it’s bad for alot of people with health problems

52. RON PAUL FOR PRES

October 20, 2011 @ 4:55 pm

i hate winter so much!!! I love summer and I dont have air conditioning… It is amazing I love it when its like 95 out!!

why i hate winter:
    1. ITS COLD
    2. DRIVING ACROSS UNPLOWED ROADS (Super dangerous!!)
    3. RUNNY NOSES
    4. CANT WEAR CUTE SUMMER DRESSES
    5. CANT WORK OUT OUTSIDE AND GO FOR LONG BIKE RIDES AND PICNICS
    6. IT GETS DARK BEFORE I EVEN GET HOME FROM WORK
    7. IT GETS DARK WHEN I GET UP. IVE FORGOTTEN THE COLOR OF MY HOUSE.
    8. CANT ENJOY THE BACKYARD AND HAVE TO BRING THE ANIMALS INSIDE
    9. EAT LOTS OF JUNK FOOD AND GET FAT AND MISERABLE
    10. FALLING ON ICE IN FRONT OF PEOPLE
    11. CONSTANTLY HAVING RAW RED HANDS
    12. THE WAY HERE IN CHICAGO IT GOES FROM SUMMER TO WINTER IN ONE DAY
    13. CAN NO LONGER OPEN THE WINDOWS IN THE CAR
    14. THE DEPRESSION THAT SETS IN FROM NOT GETTING SUNLIGHT
    15. THE WAY I FEEL HAVING TO GET OUT OF A WARM BED OR SHOWER INTO THE BRISK COLD AIR
    16. THE WAY MY HAIR FREEZES BECAUSE ITS SO COLD.
    17. I MISS GOING SWIMMING IN THE CREEK

18. I MISS EATING FRESH FRUIT
    19. I MISS MY GARDEN
    20. I MISS BEING ABLE TO LAY OUTSIDE WITH A BOOK

oh shoot. thats a lot more than 10 things. Well that is because winter sucks.

Here are my survival tips :
    1. get palm trees. put them all over your house
    2. get space heaters. when nobodys home, crank them up, get in your bikini, and relax on a lawn chair in your living room, while listening to caribbean music.
    3. put seashells and summery pics everywhere.
    4. GO on vacation. This winter I am spending partially in Barbados and Florida. Yippee :)

the ONE thing I love about winter? Its not too hot for hugs! :)

53. Ken

December 1, 2011 @ 5:15 pm

I agree, I HATE WINTER…

Living in Minnesota, it gets absolutely brutal here. 6 months of winter:
    -cold
    -ice
    -bad roads
    -salt ruins your car
    -muscles get super stiff and create really bad back pain
    -standing in line freezing ass off for the stupid city bus because of having to work downtown
    -snow, snow and more snow+hate for snow=sucks
    -and like everyone said, lack of sun. I love my sunshine!

Once my wife decides to hurry up and get done with school, we’re outta here to warmer climates. My body just can’t take this abuse anymore. Anyone who loves winter for 6 months out of the year while having to be outside in -20 degree weather is freakin nuts.

54. Top 10 Posts You Liked on AndFarAway in 2011 | And Far Away

December 31, 2011 @ 11:02 am

[…] image in a while…Post views: 14,256 Another image I won’t be giving away :) READ POST]5. Top 10 Reasons Why I Hate WinterPost views: 8,426 Everyone loves to hate winter. Some of my reasons, more in the post: 4. Driving […]

55. Anonymous

January 9, 2012 @ 2:38 pm

56. Ariel Demian

January 30, 2012 @ 2:02 pm

I hate winter in mid-Italy because here we have a lot of humidity and during winter it’s even colder than it would be in a dry place. I can’t stay outside much, being an outside person I hate staying in confined spaces. I also hate there’s so little sun time: there can be an entire week with NO SUN AT ALL. It literally sucks the life out of you.

57. Wazza Pinochet

June 18, 2012 @ 4:35 pm

SUMMMER!!!!.. i fkiing hate winter!
    1. ugly clothes
    2. hard to get up
    3. Gloomy,dark and wet…you feel depressed..like its always night
    4. u get fat.. and lack motivation to exercise..
    5. u dont wanna exercise cus no ones gonna see ur shape with all those ugly puffy jackets on.
    6. Gets DARK sooo damn early
    7. Morning seeems to come so late and even when it comes its gloomy
    8. Stuffy places.. u are stuck indoors…and heaters can really cause some serious nausea!…
    9. u dont wanna move!
    10. it rains a lot in winter where i live….and i fking hate the rain.

58. Wazza Pinochet

June 18, 2012 @ 4:38 pm

hahaha exactly the same thing with me

59. Wazza Pinochet

June 18, 2012 @ 4:49 pm

woaa i feel ur pain!

60. Wazza Pinochet

June 18, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

I dont like winter… u get fat… u always feel sleepy…u have no motivation to work out…and the clothings are soo unattractive..puffy this puffy that!..they look like marshmallows.

61. Youssef Hesham

October 10, 2012 @ 2:53 pm

Im from Egypt too, and i hate the winter because u can never where clothes that u love. and u r stuck with jackets all season. I hate the cold, because i barley ever do anything during the winter, and since they dont have a winter season at my soccer club, I cant really practice.

62. Sam

November 23, 2012 @ 2:06 am

I love winter. Summer gets me down, Spring gets me down and Autumn is mutual. I enjoy the coldness, ice, frost, snow and breeze. I love it do much it’s reached strange. But this is due to my Wintry personality and My element being ice

63. Blaaaaaaaa

November 27, 2012 @ 1:14 am

I wish I live some where, were the weather was warm enough to rain in the winter. And if it is warm enough here to rain, it freezes over leaving a frigging wonderful ice rink to drive/ walk on. I hate the snow, I hate shoveling the snow, especially when the snow plow blocks ur driveway in, try shoveling that stuff. I hate the layers, the heavy jacket, the mitts, the scarfs, the hats, the boots. I hate waking up in the dark and going home in the dark. I hate scrapping ice off my windshield. I hate it’s too old to anything with out lugging ur heavy jacket into a overly hot store. I hate getting out of my warm bed. So in summary I HATE WINTER..

64. James

December 11, 2012 @ 2:18 am

I hate winter too lol.

I want to run/train/ride outside and not in a gym.

Darkness sucks.

Ok no mosquito malaria or insects.

I hate the cold. If it was 20 degrees C in winter, I would be happy.

At least winter makes you appreciate the summers :)

65. Schmeckpeper

December 12, 2012 @ 8:21 pm

For all you winter haters why don’t you quit your whining save all your pennies & move to where it is warm. Obviously there is some other more important thing that is keeping you where it is cold otherwise you wouldn’t be where you are. Be it family, a loved one, money (your job), those are the trade you make for staying when winters come. Shut up or move out. There are plenty of places that don’t have snow come November to March, just go there & leave those of us here who don’t mind the winter wonderland. We will outlast all your thin skinned, snow hating, sniveling nosed crying anyway as we are embracing the winters & all its wonder it will empower us to outlast your cold hating hearts.

66. larry shelton

January 2, 2013 @ 5:49 am

I hate winter with a passion. winter is great if you are bipolar and want to kill yourself. perfect time, grey, gloomy, dreadful, depressing, rainy weather.
    summer is full of life, happiness, great music, the beach, bikini’s, half naked girls, water skiing, long walks in the woods, mountain climbing, and etc. Just a wonderful living time. pure sunshine and warmth.

67. rob b

January 2, 2013 @ 10:50 pm

I hate Winter too, I just gotta rant about it sometimes when it really gets to me like now. Everything is like the person above said. Gray, dark, and depressing. Nothing feels alive. I would also like to think only very unpleasant, boring (and possibly fat) people like Winter. Spring when everything is comfortably coming back to life and Summer when everything is as lively and colorful as ever.

I hate snow. It’s ugly and ruins everything you want to do. “Man I can’t wait to go here tonight!” *all of a sudden snow everywhere and weekend is ruined* “Never mind, guess we’ll just go another time…”

I hate the cold. I have a very cold sensitive body and it locks up when temperatures get below 50 degrees. When the temperatures really start to drop in later Fall even sleeping becomes a struggle because of how cold sensitive I am and how my room is very cold. There is just no way to get warm without someone to cuddle with which makes me even more depressed as it is. The only warmth I feel is that still uncomfortable artificial warmth from a heater. I hate artificial heat, it just doesn’t doesn’t feel right when it’s coming from a machine or furnace. I also love doing things outside. I work outside, I relax outside, and I enjoy the outside even as I’m inside during the Spring and Summer. Being an active person and cold does not mix. The cold traps me inside, my body slows down, and I even start eating a little more just to feel more comfortable on days when I can indulge but even my enjoyment of food is limited because of the cold making my body so uncomfortable. Life becomes so painful and hard when it’s cold. Winter is not “comfy” in any way to me.

Winter makes me sick. I am someone with a very good immune system but even someone as resistant as me breaks down often. Runny nose, sore throat, and headaches. Being stuck inside so much, exposed to so much artificial heat and being around other people much more often ruins my body and mind too because I need my space and being around people I also don’t exactly like so much more is even worse for me mentally.

The ugly clothes. I don’t know where some of you people get the ideas that bulky Winter clothes look or feel good at all. In my closet and drawers I only have a handful of clothes. T-shirts, jean shorts, jeans, and for little colder temperatures sometimes I got some hoodies. I’m even wearing shorts and t-shirt right now because I hate the way bulky clothes make me feel.

68. MGH

January 6, 2013 @ 1:11 am

Hear hear! It’s so very unhealthy. There is hardly any sunlight, and when there is, it’s freezing outside, so I end up getting sick and spending the rest of the time in bed and in hot baths (for which I feel blessed: I lived in a times and places where I didn’t have that option). I suppose the only thing winter is good for is doing some work indoors. But frankly, the grayness and lack of outdoor activity makes me depressed, so I don’t really feel like getting out of bed in the morning and I am less productive and without incentives. I normally like to reward myself by hiking, swimming, walk… In this weather, by evening, like at this moment, I am irritated beyond explanation, and don’t feel like sharing that shit with another human being, because it’s not anyone’s fault. That’s how I found you, dear winter grayness-hating community. Thank you!

Schmeckpeper, that’s exactly what I plan to do, thank you very much. Hopefully, I’ll be swimming in the 78F ocean at sunset while you scrape ice off your windshield some Saturday afternoon soon enough.

69. imho

January 11, 2013 @ 4:06 pm

I absolutely HATE winter! Summer all the way! <3

70. Frank

January 17, 2013 @ 2:25 pm

Totally agree with this post. Summer, spring and even early fall rock, while winter has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Driving on icy and snowy roads sucks, trains are often delayed due to weather conditions, nature (apart from some birds and mammals) is pretty much asleep, it’s pitch black outside before five o’clock and getting up in the morning is a bitch. Besides that, the only winter sport that is worthwhile watching is hockey. But since hockey is played indoors, you can watch it pretty much all year round.

71. Name

February 6, 2013 @ 3:57 pm

It’s not really winter that I hate. It’s the coats. So I never wear them (Thumbs up)

72. ashol

October 12, 2013 @ 10:04 pm

i hate winter i want global warming to kick in and make winter time a thing of the past.

73. ashol

November 5, 2013 @ 6:03 pm

in wintertime the ladies don’t show any sexy skin i hate winter.

74. Mr.Smith

February 5, 2014 @ 2:02 am

I hate summer, but I LOATHE winter here’s why for both:

Evils of Summer:
    1) Allergies, I’m allergic to this entire ******* planet!
    2) I’m of Irish, German, British, French, Italian (Northern Mountains), and Austrian decent which means I’m like a Vampire, where others tan and possibly turn slightly red I do not…
    3) work outside as a Cart Pusher, this means #1&2 are magnified for me…
    4) Sun is too bright

Beauty of Summer:
    1) Sun is so warm
    2) No ice
    3) walk outside barely clothed and be warm
    4) Do not have to bundle up outside

Terrors of Winter:
    1) Ice
    2) cold
    3) no body is safe driving (not even a teddy bear or moose or Godzilla!)
    4) I’m 6’5″, I do not walk on ice with ease

Beauty of Winter:
    1) Snow
    2) Huddled up inside with special someone and hot cocoa

75. Roger

February 18, 2014 @ 6:21 pm

The top reason I hate winter: I have an apartment in West Palm Beach, Florida and I can honestly say it was the best thing I did. I live in West Palm Beach, Florida for 6 months and I live on Long Island for the other 6 months. For one thing I don’t have to wear a jacket, hat, gloves and snow boots and other things. Living in Florida for 6 months during the winter is great all I wear are shorts and a tee shirt. Yes it get’s about 60 degrees down here in West palm Beach, Florida and I don’t have to worry about getting rid of the snow off my car. One more thing when are all those crazy New Yorkers going to move down to Florida.

76. Ana

September 23, 2014 @ 9:03 pm

My reasons for completely hating winter are winter clothing,lack of sunshine, and cold,obviously.I love my skirts,dresses,shorts,sleeveles tops,t-shirts,I love the sun,the warmth,my flowers,summer thunder storms and rain,laying on the earth,the green grass,I love the freedom and relaxation.
    Only two things that are good about winter.Lack of bugs and the snow.I really like the snow.And now,october it’s almost here,winter is on its way,and I’m terrified.How on earth am I going to survive another winter? :'( I wish I could live somewhere like Florida or Carribeans,summer all year,those are places for me.I hate winter,I just hate it.Winter clothes are so damn uncomfortable,and I hate the cold,and the lack of sunshine.I want summer back!!
    Summer all the way <3