I am always being accused of being extremely im-phalsapheh(moi?), and admittedly, I’ve always been very good at BS-ing my way out of stuff.
But now, here I am; 4:22 AM, sitting in front of a glowing LCD that makes everything look pretty, and trying for the life of me to rake my brain for phalsapheh.
But seriously, just look at a sampling of the critique questions I have to answer:
- Is the work integral? Was it conceived or realized, or is it a part of a fragment?
- Suppose you judge the work you are examining not as the product of a man or artist but as the representation of objects in relation to your physical and optical experiences; by do doing, do you feel you can understand the work for what it is in “itself”?
- Do you find the work you are examining “beautiful”?
- What do the words “fruition” and “enjoyment” of a work of art mean to you? Intellectual stimulation or sensual fruition or enjoyment?
- If, in visual works with the same theme or same function, we find differences or atypical ness, even singularity and uniqueness of form and language rather than identity and equality, what can you deduce?
At the moment, I’m thinking “Huhhhhhhhhh?!?!”
Hopefully, I’ll be smarter tomorrow morning.
How dare anyone wonder how I can be so mphalsapheh? I’m gonna be doing it for a living.